Friday, January 18, 2008

American Gangster



4/5

I must say this is epic! Ridley Scott does that well I must say! This is an excellent film, fantastic direction, script, acting, just everything! Sure this story is not new, but that doesn't mean anything when it is told well! Denzel is excellent, a role perfectly suited to him. Russell Crowe is pretty good as well, a role that was meant for him to play. I think the real surprise here is Josh Brolin who is simply stunning as Det Trupo, I wasn't 100% sure it was actually him until the credits! There is some strong support from the likes of Armand Assante, Cuba Gooding Jr (He was actually good) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (he worked with Denzel in Inside Man). From the opening, this really sucks you in, you soon get swept up in Frank's rise to power and his plans. Some great scenes of the drug use as well, rather disturbing I might add. While this is all going on you see how Richie eventually gets on his trail, and how his life his going it seems it keeps him going as well. I'd say don't let the running time put you off, and I can't wait to give this a second viewing, films like this need it and you want to see it again!

No comments: