Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valkyrie

Valkyrie Review
Current mood: accomplished
Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities


4/5

So I went into this with average expectations, and without much knowledge at all about the true events. I just knew it was about a plot to assassinate Hilter which obviously failed (Since Hitler committed suicide).

This film has bad some bad press (due mostly to Tom Cruise and the release having been pushed back), but you know what? I thought it was a really good film. Lets get one thing out of the way which apparently has bothered a lot of people. The accents, yes Tom Cruise does not adopt a German accent, he just uses his own. You know what, after a few minutes it didn't really bother me. I thought, I'm wondering how terrible it would have been and how unintentionally funny it would have been if he did adopt a German accent? The rest of the cast as well for the most part just used their normal accents and you know it worked. I think it would have actually taken away from their performances if they had the German accents, I am sure they would have done alright but it all just worked for me anyway. I didn't need phony accents for this film.

I really liked the way it was set and the pacing of the film. It did not drag, it actually went along nicely and during certain scenes, I felt the tension and I was on the edge of my seat wondering how things were going to go down. I've heard people say there was no real tension in the film, but I disagree. I felt it, and it was good.

I do really like Bryan Singer as a film maker, I've liked/loved all of his films. There is just a certain something he does, makes things interesting, gets some great performances from his actors. Visually the film is quite good too, it did feel authentic. The costumes were pretty awesome as well, they all looked the part.

Tom Cruise I thought did just fine, one of his better roles actually. I don't have a problem with him as an actor (I'll separate his crazy personal life from his film work), while he does have his weak moments, this I did not think was one of them. He had a great role and he rolled with it. Bill Nighy is awesome, the man can do no wrong. He was wrong here, and he owned the role. I did not even recognise Eddie Izzard until I saw his name in the credits! Good job there, and an interesting piece of casting. Tom Wilkinson was meant to play this role, he owned it as well. Terance Stamp was great, the man has such presence. Although I kept wanting to shout GENERAL ZOD everytime he was on screen and getting called General hehe. David Bamber who played Hitler was really good, he looked the part and he was quite creepy, I was really impressed. Everyone else was really good, I don't think there was a bad performance.

This film certainly isn't for everyone, but I would say give it a try. I mean if you like your WWII films, definitely check this out. A fan of one of the main cast members, yes check it out. Do not let the bad press turn you off.

No comments: