Monday, July 13, 2009

Hostel II



3/5

I finally watched Hostel II, I enjoyed it for the most part. The second half had a few WTF moments, and some nice plot twists I actually didn't see coming. It wasn't as gorey as the first I felt though, and it wasn't as disturbing either. The characters in the first I didn't want to see them get it, but these girls were kind of annoying and I didn't give a shit. The blood bath scene I laughed (should I have?) it was just so silly. I can't believe Heather went nude and Bijou did not, very weird indeed! I did like the idea of seeing the kinds of people who pay for the service of being able to kill someone, and where it went was good too. Not as good as the first, but still good.

Storyline wise it was pretty much the same deal as the first, as I mentioned you also see the other side with the clients. There are a few twists here and there, and I had a feeling about one twist. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I think Eli Roth wanted to try and make a better film here, but for me it didn't quite get there but I appreciate all his hard work. The film is more polished and the set pieces are much better but it was more grittier in the first. I think it compliments the first, and does a decent job of continuing the story. Not sure I liked the small part with Paxton, I either would have liked it to have gone down differently or be left out completely. I thought performance wise they all did good jobs, they were all credible. Watch out for a cameo by Ruggero Deodato (Director of Cannibal Holocaust), I actually laughed really hard at this scene, very sick but also very fitting. Films like this which put the characters in a seeming no win situation makes you think. How would I react in that situation? How would I feel? How far would I go to survive? I can't imagine how horrible it would be to be in the situation those girls were in, and it scares me to think about. I think Eli Roth is awfully succussful in doing that, with Cabin Fever and Hostel I. Nice work!

Eli Roth has directed three films, all horror and I have liked and enjoyed them all. He always brings the goods and I do believe he will only get better. The man loves film, and he brings that into his work. If you want to see more, check out the fake trailer for Thanksgiving which was part of Grindhouse (He wants to turn it into a full length feature would be awesome) or have a look at his trailer commentaries at TrailersFromHell.

No comments: