Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A follow up to Showgirls?

Source: Extratipp via JoBlo

Yes this is very weird news indeed, however I actually knew about this for a little awhile and I didn’t say anything. But the cat is out of the bag so to speak!

Showgirls is a now infamous film from 1995, it swept up the Razzie awards and it has been called the worst film of the 90’s! Now I am a huge Showgirls fan, I love the film, I appreciate it for what it is, a big fun silly film. I love the film so much I dedicated an entire podcast to it, which you can check out here. Rena Riffel herself actually gave that episode a listen and liked the show.

So today comes the news that Showgirls is in fact getting a sequel, called Showgirls: History Of Hope, writer/director Marc Vorlander has been developing the project. It will focus on character Hope/Penny played by Rena Riffel, she is apparently going to reprise the role which makes me very happy.

The basic synopsis is: ‘It’s about stripper who died from a dose of contaminated cocaine. Her brother comes to Frankfurt to find the responsible and revenge.’

Apparently the film is going to have a budget of $25 million and goes into Production in Frankfurt. How this managed to get a budget like that I have no idea, hopefully it is a decent script! I wonder what sort of direction they will take? Serious, tongue in cheek? I am going to be keeping an eye on it for sure, and hopefully Rena will be able to divulge more info about it soon.

Side note: Rena is actually using a graphic I made her on her official blog, what a true sweetie she is!

No comments: