Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Science Project



3.5/5

To be perfectly honest I had not even heard about this film until my partner in crime and I stumbled into this little DVD store in the city. He picked it up, being a favourite of his as a kid and not having been able to find it on DVD before. I was not really sure what to expect, it looked really silly, very 80's. But as it turned out, I actually rather enjoyed this film! Colour me surprised! Yes it is actually very silly, but in such a fun and entertaining way, and I must say the 80's were a very special time for films. They really do not make them like that anymore, and I miss that.

Basic plot of the film is you have main character Mike Harlan (John Stockwell), and he breaks into a military junk yard with the girl who has a crush on him and is also the stereotypical nerd Ellie Sawyer (Danielle von Zerneck). He wants to find something to pass as his science project for his science teacher Bob Roberts (Dennis Hopper). But things don't exactly go as planned and some strange things start to happen.

Well I don't want to spoil anymore, but what Mike does find is good. All the things that happen with what they find is so funny and so silly, but it all still works and it comes together nicely for the third act. It really helps that our leads have great chemistry together, and you can actually believe their friendship and attraction. Mike is a likeable character, he's a tough guy who loves his car, he has his crazy best friend to help him out. He has just been dumped by the school hottie (she looked 35, a bit old for school), so things aren't working out too well for him.

The best friend Vince (Fisher Stevens) is rather funny, he has some great lines which my partner in crime loves to use such as:
“Hey kid, why do you wear sunglasses at night?” - Cop
“Because when you're cool, the sun shines on you 24 hours a day.” - Vince

I mean come on, does it get better then that? I love it! As I mentioned it all comes together nicely for the third act, and its all just a lot of fun. The only downside to this film would be the stereotypical characters, like the other nerd who likes Ellie and the bully jocks. They are just too cliqued and I wasn't much of a fan of that. But overall this was a good film, a fun high school 80's action/adventure piece, I am glad I decided to watch it.


No comments: