Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Moon



5/5

The directorial debut from Duncan Jones, starring Sam Rockwell is easily my top film of 2009. This film blew me away, now I expected to really like this film but I didn't expect it to be this fantastic. So what is it you might ask that is so fantastic about this film that I would name it my top film of 2009? Well folks ... everything!

So what is Moon about? Well it is called Moon, so it has something to do with the Moon right? Yes, yes it does. The film takes place on a station on the Moon, Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell) has a three year contract stationed there, he is alone. His only company is with a computer known as GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey), as well as receiving messages from Earth. He is isolated, he feels that isolation as he counts down the three weeks left to his three years contract being up and he can go home. Sam gets into an accident, and that is where things start to get strange.

Best you do not know anymore about the plot, so I will leave it at that. I did not know much about the actual plot going in, I only knew what I had seen from the trailer and the spoiler free reviews that I had read. It felt so good to go into this film not knowing what to expect, how things would unfold. It is important to know this is a low budget, indie, sci-fi film that is layered and complex. It wont be a film for everyone, but this really had my name written all over it. I love a good sci-fi film, I love Sam Rockwell and I love to show my support to indie films. Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son) I've heard and seen interviews with him and I have so much respect and admiration for this man. He has even responded to me on Twitter, now that is cool folks! He has come up with such a great story, and the direction in this film certainly does not feel like a debut effort. The talent he shows here, it feels like he is a great veteran. I thought he was nothing short of amazing, and I can't say enough good things about the work he has done.

On the acting side, this is a one man show with Sam Rockwell. I recently started a new column here on Super Blog called Perfect Casting, Perfect Performance and in a future column this is going to feature on it. I honestly do not think another actor could have done what Sam Rockwell has done with this role. He was the perfect choice for this role, I really believe Sam was meant to play this role. There is nothing short of amazing with what he does, he becomes Sam Bell, and he played all the right notes. (Minor Possible Spoiler Ahead) The scenes where he has to act opposite himself, you would think it was two different people doing the work. I really don't think I've seen that work so well as I have here. (End Spoiler) His interactions with GERTY are just fantastic, and I am not sure how it was shot, whether Spacey was there or a recording was played or someone else did the voice whilst shooting but it works so well. Sam Rockwell is such a talented actor, and it is a shame he isn't a bigger star. This man really should be in top consideration this awards season, he deserves it more then anyone else.

This film really is one of the most unique experiences I have had for many years (Along with District 9), and in a time where we get remake after remake it is so refreshing to get something so original, so thought provoking and so stunning to look at. Like with District 9, the budget was small but it looked so damn impressive you wouldn't guess it was low budget. I really wish we would get more films like this, and it is a shame that it gets a limited release, films like this should be seen!

Thank you Duncan Jones and thank you Sam Rockwell!

No comments: