Thursday, August 13, 2009

District 9



4.5/5

I went and caught an afternoon session so I could have peace and quiet in the cinema, and there was maybe 15 other people there in total and I was the only lady there lol! I gotta say without annoying tweens and teens mucking around, the cinema experience was worth my $$$$.

Now don't go into this with high expectations, I have a feeling it is going to disappoint. This is not a main stream film, and it certainly wont appeal to the mass public. I calmed myself down and I went in with out any expectations. It did hook me in from the get go, it does have this gritty documentary feel, a lot of hand held camera work (and believe me for this film it was affective). This film looked like it had such a huge budget but they had $30million to work with and it looks amazing, the aliens indeed look very real. I am still in awe over the whole thing, big round of applause to the film makers.

The film does have its flaws, but for me there weren't many and I don't even feel like mentioning them because overall it did not ruin my experience of the film. The story can certainly be seen as having a very in your face social commentary, and its amazing how they made it work with aliens. You actually really feel for them, and the humans just seem like rotten bastards. There was no point in the film where I actually sided with the humans, I felt for the aliens and I really felt like I connected with the main alien Christopher.

Our main human, Wikus Van De Merwe (Sharlto Copley) goes through a lot in this film and the way his character changes through out the film is simply just amazing. He is the main focus, and without someone as strong of an actor it certainly wouldn't have had the same impact. He did have his off moments, but the fact that I was just so drawn into the film I didn't notice it too much.

District 9 is one of the most unique films I have ever seen, and I can certainly understand the hype surrounding it, but some comments I've read I have to wonder if maybe the experience of being the first people to see it (At Comic Con) tainted their opinions. However it sure is a great film, consider me a fan of District 9!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pay 14.50 to see a theatrical movie??? Insanity.

Marceyness said...

I can't go for free, and thats a discounted price, remember its Australian dollars too.

Anonymous said...

Jesuit, I do not like that you have to pay that much for a movie, discounted or not.

Marceyness said...

Yes well I am not a big fan of piracy and I love seeing films on the big screen. So unfortunately I gotta pay

Anonymous said...

Here you go, world exclusive. The first 10 min of the next RB.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/8/frogtown1-962897.html

Marceyness said...

WOW!!! I am so excited!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be that excited.

Marceyness said...

Just wait till I can appear on the show, epic win!

jaime said...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK THIS MOVIE SUCK'S.

Marceyness said...

Do you have an opinion other then saying films suck? Because it is getting annoying.

jaime said...

"Annoying" is that your way of asking me out?(& yes have an opinion)