Friday, August 28, 2009

Ils (Them)



4/5

Ils aka Them, French film, all I knew was that people had raved about it and that The Strangers was more or less an Americanised version. Plot? Simple, a couple get terrorised in their home. By whom? Them!

This is actually a short film, to a degree this works really well as it flows quickly and it really sucks you right in. On the downside, I would have liked our main characters to have been fleshed out a bit more, as when the terror starts you really need to feel for these people. It also left a lot to the imagination which isn't a bad thing, in some cases it can be more frightening, but in the case of this film I think we should have been shown more.

The two main characters Clémentine (Olivia Bonamy) and Lucas (Michael Cohen) are likable enough, they seem happy and they don't really seem like they deserve anything bad to happen to them. Which is why I kind of wanted more with them. We do not see much of "Them" and that is affective and when we find out something about "Them" it is actually quite shocking and it sent me chills down my spine too.

This has been compared to The Strangers and it is kind of similar but in other ways not really. I felt this didn't have the plot holes of that film and it flowed so much better. I would actually recommend checking this out over that to start with. But I thought this was overall a great film, strong performances, some great cinematography and a very creepy feel to it. It has a running time of around 77minutes, not long at all.

Films like this really tap into your fears of being invaded in your own home, some place you are meant to feel safe. This takes you out of your comfort zone, and I can easily say after watching this I looked out my window, making sure "Them" were not lurking outside. When a film can do that, there is definitely something there.

7 comments:

Anomaly said...

Omg how SHORT was it!

Marceyness said...

Yeah it was, I wish it was longer but I really liked it anyway.

Shaun said...

I'll have to look out for this.

Marceyness said...

Let me know when you see it Shaun

Shiznaun said...

I'll have to find a torrent first...

Marceyness said...

Ooo naughty naughty :p

Shaun said...

I believe we've discussed this before.